Chardon Baseball 2014 Season Preview

Chardon Baseball 2014 Season Preview

Two years ago, the Chardon baseball program went to the Regional Finals, further than any Chardon baseball team has gone before. The following season, the team picked up new head coach, Brian Long. Long has a lot of baseball experience, considering he played in high school and in college for the Cleveland State Vikings. And coming in after a successful season for the Hilltoppers, there’s a lot of pressure on a new head coach.

When the 2013 season was about to begin, there were nerves. The team was led by senior Reilly Hawkins and he couldn’t wait to get the season started. After the first fifteen games the team went 12-3. At the end of the season, the Hilltoppers finished 17-10 and they were ready for playoffs. Once playoffs ended, they lost in the regional semi-finals, ending their season.

Long is ready for the new season now. Having a very young team with only three seniors, it might be a rebuilding season for the Toppers. But within this young team, there is immense talent and athleticism. “Every player has great talent on this team. They all show great potential as well,” says senior Joe Connick. Every single player on this team has played baseball for their entire lives. They know what it is about and how to be great. “It’s going to an exciting year. The players have already shown great skill so far, and it has only been two weeks!” says teacher Mr. Merkle.

There is no Junior Varsity or Varsity roster just yet. Those will be determined in a couple of weeks, after the team has a chance to go outside and scrimmage. The team and coaches are excited to get out on the field and take some live action. With this being Coach Long’s second year of coaching, there might be a little less pressure for him to succeed. He knows what he is working with as a team, and he knows how to make it great. If everything for this team goes according to Coach’s plan, they should do just fine this upcoming season.