Hilltopper Wrestlers Pull Through at P.A.C.

The Chardon Hilltoppers competed at the P.A.C.(Premier Athletic Conference) tournament on February 1st, 2014. The P.A.C conference consisted of Riverside, Willoughby South, Eastlake North, Geneva, Chardon, University, and Madison.

Going in to this tournament Chardon was giving up four weight classes, which are crucial for team points. Chardon placed fourth with 115.5 team points, trailing behind Geneva who took third with 116.5 points, Madison who took second, and Willoughby South who took first, beating the three time defending P.A.C. champs the Madison Blue Streaks.

Senior Matt Liggett summed up the teams overall performance the best, “I thought the team did their best with what they had. The odds were against us giving up four weight classes and still trying to be competitive with team points.” Matt Liggett finished up taking 5th in a stacked 138lb weight class.

Chardon had two second placers at the tournament, Anthony Tilocco and Nick Rocazzela, who are both seniors. Sophomore Evan Hornyak, sophomore Dillion Strauser, and junior Mikey Connick took 3rd place, while Matt Klinsburg took 4th for the team.

“This is a tough tournament with a lot of good wrestlers in it, so having so many placers sows that our team is right there with these other good programs.” Junior Mikey Connick states about the team’s performance.

Senior Anthony Tilocco says “This is the last tournament for us in the regular season. Now we have to prepare for the Sectional tournament coming up in two weeks.” The Hilltoppers will have their Sectional tournament at AustintownFitchHigh School February 14th and 15th to try and qualify for the State Tournament.

Senior Nick Rocazella says, “With the regular season just about over, we need to work even harder, especially the seniors, to give it our best shot at making it to the State tournament.”

This Friday, February 7 is the team’s senior night, and they will wrestle Eastlake North. The team would love to see a big crowd to help support not only the team, but also the dedicated seniors as they wrestle in their lat home match. Hope to see you there!