Student Council Wants Your Blood

This Halloween, donate some blood! On October 31, 2014, there will be a blood drive in the gym from 8:00 AM to 1:30 PM. Student Council and the American Red Cross ask that you eat breakfast and drink plenty of fluids the day of and before you donate. For registration, please bring your photo ID and, if applicable, a signed parent consent form. If you are sixteen, please bring the signed consent form. Also bring a list of the medications you are taking and a list of places you have traveled outside the US and Canada in the past twelve months. You must be sixteen or older to donate.

Student athletes should wait at least twelve hours after donating before participating in tiring exercise. Drink lots of water after to help replace lost fluid from donating. If you notice a marginal decrease in your athletic performance, it is normal and temporary.

First time, young, or low-weight donors may notice light-headedness or feel dizzy afterwards. To prevent this, drink extra water ten to thirty minutes before donating. After donating, spend at least fifteen minutes relaxing, drinking water, and eating a snack in the refreshment area to regain hydration. This will prevent fatigue, dizziness, or an upset stomach. If you do feel dizzy, stay  in the refreshment/relaxation area, and tell a staff member. Also, do not skip any meals the day you donate. If you feel any discomfort or pain while donating, tell a Red Cross staff member who will help limit the discomfort.

Do not donate if you are feeling ill, and before you donate, you will have a “mini-physical” which will be private. Your blood will be tested for HIV, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C. If your blood is positive, your blood will not be donated.  Any questions? Ask Mrs. Grantham and/or Student Council. “Choose to stand out. Be a Red Cross Blood donor.”