The Dream Team

The Chardon Hilltopper competition cheerleading team travels to Florida in April to compete for a national title. They have won the national championship the past two years, and are going for a three-peat this year. Winning three straight championships has not been done yet at COA Ultimate competition.  The competition is a long ways away, but it is important to prepare early. Anything can go wrong at any given point. For example the team has a few injured girls currently, but they are looking forward to a speedy recovery. All the girls on the competition team are apart of either football or basketball cheerleading team, these girls have to make one of those teams to be in the running to be pick to be on the comp squad. The 2014-2015 competition team has been called the dream team this year and people across the nation are waiting to see what they have in store for this year.

17 year old Alicia Tilocco is a senior on the competition team. Alicia has been through a few back injuries but has pushed through the season and helped carry the team to their many victories. Alicia says “Competition is what builds character and is the one sport out there that only gives you 2 minutes and 30 seconds to show everyone what we’re all about. Being able to have a team that you can consider family is probably the best part.” She has been on the team through many national titles and tough loses.

The first competition is November 11 and the team is currently preparing and working very hard to get all their skills and the routines down. The girls would all agree to say that we hope to put out our best performance to start off the season with a win. Kayla Bolden and Carly Maruna  are other seniors on the team and say “It’s great to have a team that we can all push each other to our fullest potential.” They also say “ It amazing to see all the inside jokes and support that goes on within the team, and we don’t just hang out during practice. The team also finds ways to hangout outside practices too.” Jenny Kerns, Missi Altman, and Missy Kingkof have lead this team to many successful years. The girls have said they are happy that this team can bond and forget about their differences.  The team almost went undefeated last year, ending the season  with one loss, many wins, and two national titles. The real question is, is are they going to do it again?