Academic Decathlon Ready For Another Successful Year

Academic+Decathlon+Ready+For+Another+Successful+Year+

Academic Decathlon almost took the gold last year, kind of. This year our academic team member Jem Shaffer said, “There’s a chance we’ll win this year.” The class is open to everyone and and anyone is welcomed. It may only be offered as a zero period, but not many members are complaining about that. When asked if getting up early is worth it freshman Noah Bena commented, “The early mornings aren’t that bad.” The class is a combination of students from all four grades that come together every morning at about six thirty a.m. in room 205. Mr. Herner, the supervisor of academic decathlon, said about the class, “It’s not just a stuffy acadec class, we like to have fun too.”

Last year we got to online nationals, and we represented the state of Ohio. We took eleventh place in the competition, and this year all the members are holding out hope to win nationals. Noah Bena said, “I’m hoping to win competitions, I’m just trying to be optimistic.”

Why do these students stay in this class? Well, Jem Shaffer answered that question, “it’s relaxing, and my friends are a reason why I stay.” Noah Bena also gave a pretty good response, “My sister took this class so she’s a reason I took it, but I also stay in it because of how awesome David Nedrow is.” David Nedrow also gave a short but sweet answer, “It’s fun.”

Why someone might want to take the class? Well every year there is a new topic, so though someone may not like this year’s topic they could love next years. Every year a new topic is chosen out of many options including: economics, math, language, science, history, and the arts.

How do these students balance this class with so many other classes in the their schedule? Well sophomore David Nedrow might have the answer for that, “well, we don’t get much homework so it’s not that hard.”

With this bunch of brainiacs, we might bring home the gold this year. Even if we don’t, at least we know these students really enjoy this class that’s meant for everyone.