The Release of ‘The Interview’

The Release of The Interview

After months of controversy towards the new film, The Interview was finally released by Columbia Pictures for the public to view. Starring Seth Rogen and James Francos, this comedy has been brought a lot of attention to the country of North Korea. In the movie, James Francos character, Dave Skylark, and his producer are set to fly to North Korea to interview the shows huge fan, supreme leader Kim Jong-Un. After hearing of the opportunity of United States citizens to gain access into the extremely private North Korea, the CIA knows they need to take advantage of this chance and have the US citizens end Jong-Un’s rain as leader and kill him.

As North Korea found out about the movie involving the death of their leader, outcry broke out from the country.  The Korean government threatened action against the United States if the film was revealed to the public.

In November, the computer systems for Sony Pictures Entertainment were hacked by the “Guardians of Peace”, a group with ties to North Korea. The group demanded that Sony pull ‘The Interview’. On December 16, 2014, the Guardians of Peace threatened terrorist attacks against cinemas that played the movie. The following day, theaters across country pulled the showing. Sony made the able to viewed for the public online on December 24, 2014 and has earned $15 million dollars. There has not been recent Korean threats since the release.

There are different platforms to view ‘The Interview’ at your home. Some of the possible websites to see the controversial movie is Google play, Youtube, or Itunes. Cable providers that you can watch include Time Warner Cable, Directv, and AT&T U Verse. Another possible way is to go seetheinterview.com.

Senior Kyle Grimm was extremely excited to finally get a chance to see the movie. “When it was finally able for me to play it online, I did not hesitate to rent it!” He continued with “It was nice to watch a newly released movie at my own house.” Sophomore Mitch Butala thought the movie was hilarious and “could not stop laughing”.  Senior Mikey Connick thought it “was one of funniest movies you has recently seen”

Not all reviews have been not been positive. Senior Clay Ahlman thought the movie was “not even that funny” and “at times was painful to watch ”.

Watch the movie to see what you think.