Papers, Please- A Dystopian Document Thriller

What is the dullest job in the world? That would be working at a call center. What’s the second worst job? That would be working at a security checkpoint at a country’s border, or so you would think. This is why it is simply extraordinary that someone can make a video game based around this, and somehow make it entertaining.

Junior Bradley Caldwell seems very skeptical, saying, “Doesn’t sound much fun to look at papers. I’m already doing that in school!”

Papers, Please is set in the fictional communist country of Arstotzka, which has just ended a six year war with the neighboring country of Kolechia. While the Artotzkans may have gotten their half of the border town, Gretin, tensions are still high in this fictional, yet lively country. Therefore, it seems appropriate to set up immigration checkpoints in order for incoming immigrants to be separated from the document forgers, smugglers, and terrorists. In the October Labor Lottery, your name has been chosen to be an immigration officer at the Arstotzkan-Kolechian border, so the weight is on your shoulders for making sure Kolechian terrorists do not enter your country. The main mechanic of the game is you checking passports and other documents, looking for any possible discrepancies that indicate this “immigrant” is not who they say they are.

While this may sound incredibly boring, there is a real sense of immersion in the little country you live in. There is also a sense of worry and haste as you play because you have to make enough money to take care of your four-member family. But, there are also moments where someone may give you a sob story of how they have not seen their son in years and they are finally going to see them again, only to find out their passport has expired. You could either decline them, or you could accept them with the risk of getting in serious trouble. The choices you make actually feel like they matter. The struggle between keeping your humanity and keeping your family alive will tear you apart. The game’s intention is to question your morals as a human being. What will you do for your values, family, or revolution?

Junior Adam Browne said he, “played the demo, and while it took a while for the tutorial to take off, it had some interesting mechanics that were pretty enjoyable.”

Junior Austin Pestello said “ it sounds interesting, but it’s probably not for me”.

All of this negativity of the game’s tone may be a turn-off, but that is the point. This game is not meant to be fun or enjoyable. It is meant to tear your mind apart and destroy your ideas of morals. It is insightful, gruesome, and terrifying.

Play the game for yourself and see why popular gaming reviewers like YouTubers Nerdcubed and TotalBiscuit are calling it, “Absolutely perfect.”, and, “the best game of 2013”.

The full game has been released on the digital games store, Steam, as well as on the creator’s website at www.dukope.com. You can also find a free demo there. Glory to Artstotzka.