Single-People-Everywhere-Awareness-Day!

Single-People-Everywhere-Awareness-Day%21

Valentines Day: otherwise known as good-luck-finding-affordable-flowers-and-chocolate day, was once originally named after one or more early Christian martyrs named Valentine and was established by Pope Gelasius I in 496 AD. Although prior to the 14th century, there were no links between the Saints named Valentinus and romantic love, rather a feast day in honor of Saint Valentine.

So was Valentine’s Day was intended to be a Christian Holiday, but thanks to Hallmark, and 1-800 Flowers, it seems like the original meaning has been lost along the way. The U.S. Greeting Card Association estimates that approximately 190 million valentines are sent each year in the US.  When you include the valentine-exchange cards made in school activities the figure goes up to one billion, turning this holiday into more of a payday for the card companies.  At least we know love is in the air in those businesses!

“Life’s like a box of chocolates,” says senior Seanna Izar, “and on Valentine’s Day I better be getting one.”

“I wish we actually still celebrated in school and handed out valentines!” Added sophomore Ally McKelvey.

Nowadays, Valentine’s Day has evolved into a day of stressed out boyfriends/husbands making a last minute run to the store to get their significant other a suitable gift.  According to some, this should be the day where the girl takes charge for once since it is usually the guy every other day of the year.

“I want to make the plans, and pay for my boyfriend since he always does things for me, I want to switch it up a bit on this special day,” revealed senior Lisa Poyar.

Through all of this, Valentine’s Day has turned into a shallow interpretation of a day supposed to be about love and romance.  You should not have to do something special for someone, one day out of the year to prove your love to them. Every day could be used to express your love without an overpriced teddy bear.  Do it because you want to do it, not because everyone else is doing it on one specific day.

“As long as you focus on the right things, rather than trying to out do other people then I think it’s a great holiday,” said senior Jillian Cressman.

Perhaps it’s just a part of our society’s way of thinking that spending money on gifts can show someone’s true affection. Whatever you do on Valentine’s Day, make it enjoyable and remember that it’s a day about love and whether you remember to focus on what you love and not how much you need to spend to prove it. If every couple treated each other like they matter everyday; Valentine’s Day wouldn’t be so special.

We also have a special announcement from senior Katie Moore, “I’m now taking applications for potential valentines!”